Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sorry?

What is your reaction when someone comes up to you on the sidewalk and asks you for some spare change?

Well, today Chris and I went on a little date. We decided to get out of the same old KC metro and take a little jaunt over to Lawrence, KS. It is only about a 30 minute drive and a very different atmosphere. Very college townish (for obvious reasons) and a little laid back hippie-style. I loved it.

As we were leaving this fun little shop called Creation Station, we walked past a group of kids (I can call them that now that I am in my 30's) who were playing drums and hacky sack, wearing birkenstocks, dreadlocks, you get the picture. As we walked past them, they asked if we had any spare change. Now I am all for helping out the needy, but these "kids" were clearly not needy. They were just trying to hit up the JoCo suburbanites walking past them. So, my annoyed, uncomfortable, tying to be nice response was, "sorry".

After I answered, they girl who asked me for the money told me I didn't have to say I was sorry, and acted like I was some kind of idiot. That annoyed me, because yes, I AM sorry.

I am sorry that you are standing on the street, perfectly able-bodied, asking for money. I am sorry I won't give you money because I am a teacher and hardly make any money the way it is. I am sorry I won't give you money because my husband is working his butt off in school and we are living off loans up the wazoo.

So kids, the moral of the story is to work hard, have some class, be kind to one another, and of course, respect your elders.

No comments:

Post a Comment